27.10.08

Minnesota, are we really that nice? Really?

And I quote from Wikipedia…

“Minnesota nice is the stereotypical behavior of Minnesota residents described as hospitality and courtesy to others. The term is also sometimes used in a derogatory way, to connote a sort of smiling stubbornness, forced politeness, false humility or passive aggressive hostility.”

Passive aggressive hostility…yeah, that’s about right. I tried to read a little Garrison Keillor to get a handle on what Minnesota is all about but I went into a coma two sentences into A Prairie Home Companion’s “Wobegonics” skit. And by coma I mean I held my breath until I passed out to avoid reading anymore…

Excerpt: “Okay, all outta dumpcake, but we've got red jello and banana here. You care for that?”

What the fark is dumpcake?

Ok, so maybe I’m not the best person to ask about being “Minnesotan”. Although my parents are Scandinavian, I am of Oriental decent, but I’ve lived in Minnesota my whole life and I love it. I use phrases like “you bet” and “that’s different”, I can eat my weight in hotdish and I constantly bitch about my car and its lack of starting in the winter. I am 100% MINI-SO-TAN!

Oh, and don’t call us Oriental, we hate that…

No comments:

Post a Comment